Now, I've never been a big eater. In fact, I used think that I could take it or leave food. Well, that was whilst I was being drip fed by either Geoff or Andrew. Though now the reality was that I was hungry and feeling weak, disorientated and extremely frightened. 

I needed to decide what my next move was going be. I was torn between resuming my search to find my way home or wait for my Dad's to come and find me. I knew though that they wouldn't be home from the Vegan market yet. They may not even notice that I was missing until the next day, as it took them a good hour to unpack the car of soaps, oils, balms, candles and other products. Then by the time they had eaten they usually retired to bed as they were usually tired from their busy day. 

This being the case I wasn't prepared to take any chances. I needed to make the move and try and re-trace my steps and hopefully remember a landmark that I had passed whilst being chased earlier that day. So I took a deep breath, had a stretch and headed back across the field. I stayed in the long grass as could hear children playing in the distance and had always been wary of groups of humans. The problem with this decision was that I couldn't see where I was heading, so had to rely heavily on my feline radar to maintain a safe path.

Now you may know that cats have a great sense of smell and that I could have found my way home easily. Though in my case I have no sense of smell, due to the operation on my nasal cavity, after I had been adopted. (Keep up).

I'd been walking for what seemed to be well over an hour when I came to a natural clearing in the grass. It was quiet with no humans around. So I ventured out into the open space to get my bearings. I was totally lost and confused. I looked up into the sky and realised that the sun was setting and it was starting to get dark. I couldn't bear the thought of being out away from home overnight, though it was becoming increasingly clear that if I didn't act quickly then I would be out in the elements. This would mean no food, plus the chance of being attacked by another animal, worst of all a fox.

Survival tactics had to now come into play. I needed shelter and fast. I upped my pace and ran as quickly as I could. I didn't care in what direction I was heading at this point. Just so long as I found a dry and safe place to hide for the night. It wasn't long before I came across what looked like an old abandoned, wartime look-out bunker that was situated on the clifftop. I looked around. There was no-one about. I jumped onto the concrete roof to survey my surrounds before entering the bunker though a small though adequate opening. It was almost completely dark inside and had a dirty, musky smell. This was certainly a lot different to the rug I spent every night laid on, in front of the Aga at home. Well this was my home for the night so I had to make do. I found some old newspaper on the ground and after making sure it was dry I laid down and eventually cried my self to sleep.


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published